Monday, April 11, 2005

parent hood

hatch- What will you say? What will you say when they ask why? Why this, and why that? Of course those aren't easy questions...The questions I'm more wondering about will come in time.

Why so many wars? Why is it so confusing? Why is the telephone off the hook for those who really need a ride? Why is it so unfair? Why is it that you either "drink bubbles or you die of thirst". It baffles me. We all bloody see it and noone wants it but yet, it gets worse daily... Is humanity a junkey? Hungry for illusions, for chocolate.

Your kids may not say those questions, but the questions will be asked IMO and experience. What will you say when they ask why?

bob - Scram kid you are starting to bug me?

hatch - That's what my dad used to say. Don't you love me now.

I'm serious. I know many guys and gals have little ones here and some coming soon too.

I have a buddy back home with two little ones now. Sounds crazy to me the guy was so unstable. I told him once: "I don't want kids because I can't control myself yet." He replied: If you wait to be ready, you'll wait for ever. You should see us sometimes, the whole family looks like a feak show."

bob - Anyway there are too many people in the world already. People = problems.

hatch - So I take it that's what you'll say to your child bob? Hmmm...Will you be surprised if that 15 years old kid replies: "Then why did you and mom make me? I never asked for any of this!"

bob - Smart kids ask smart questions. Anyway I'd tell him that yes there are too many people in the world but since he is here already he might as well find some happiness in life without making too much of a pig of himself in the process. Heck I'd tell him that he might even be able to do some good if he is cheerful, creative, honest and humble enough. At fifteen a kid can start getting used to the idea that life can be difficult and their parents aren't perfect.

hatch - There are no bad questions coming out of a fifteen years old if he is asking about world problems. Only the questions that the less fortunate and not so smart kids will "not" ask. I wish all my teachers had known that...

bob - I don't know anything.

jdsmith - Hatch you yourself still ask questions that have no answers. What's the point? Get on with your life. Get over it...whatever it is that you feel you missed, or missed out on. Don't dwell sooooooo much on this negative crap. Life is too damn cool. (This is pretty much what I'll tell my kid too BTW)

And trust me, a 15 yr old doesnt ask why was he born. My 5 yr old already has! lol

He asks, I answer. Plain and simply. If I don't know, I say, I don't know and we try to figure it out together.

It's called parenting, and no, you are right, not every parent knows how to do it well. Free will is a wonderful thing. One's adult actions and behaviors are not limited to one's crappy childhood experiences. I know this for a fact.

hatch - Hold your horses! My wife and I are thinking about having a kid dude and we both feel unsure about it. Those were some of the reasons "we" felt it would be a challenge to raise a child. Nowhere did I imply that this had anything to do with my childhood. Secondly it's not so damn cool if you get out of your luxurious life and take a look around. Besides, why do teenagers commit suicide? That won't be your child of course. Thirdly, you dismiss my intentions too quickly and so did Brian as I'm now posting this in the flounders. Fourthly, If what I write doesn't make sense to you, there are no need to suggest that I have issues. This one made sense to my wife and I. So I guess we have issues for thinking about adopting a troubled teenager. I can't talk about the struggles of being a teenager...Without your comments related to my childhood. Nevermind mentionning I want to adopt one don't you think?

bob - I suggest you try raising a puppy first.

TainanCowboy - Everyday I bring the boy home from his school. The ride home through traffic usually goes something like this:

Me:"You see what that person did?"
Boy:"Yes"
Me:"Thats a dumbass thing to do, it almost caused an accident. You should never do that when you get your 'scooter."
Boy:"Oh...OK."
Me:"And don't use the word 'dumbass.'"
Boy:"Oh...OK, Momma says you use a lot of words I should not use."
Me:"Right, just remember your Momma is always right."
Boy:"Oh...OK...I want a car."
Me:"Forget it...you're just 9 or 10 yrs old. How old are you ?"
Boy:"Oh...I'm not telling you."
Me:"You wanna walk home?"
Boy:"Oh...you want to tell Momma you come home without me?"
Me:"You little terrorist."
Boy:"Oh...Hahahahahahahaaaaa"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home