Tuesday, March 01, 2005

yucatan by bus (slight repreive)

About ten years ago I had it in my head to make a low budget travel video for low budget travellers. "Yucatan by bus" it was to be called. I had friends who knew a great deal about film technology and I was prepared to do the research and write a rough script. I saved money for the venture, did my homework etc. In the end I like to think the whole thing fell apart because my partners never actually got around to actually doing anything. In reality it fell apart because I didn't find new partners. It looks as though the guys at lonely planet did though because their program is almost exactly the sort of concept I had in mind.

In the recent past I came to forumosa with an idea to create a more imaginative adult alternative to studio classroom. I thought "Studio Bathroom" might be a good name. My posts were floundered and not, I would venture, because they were poorly written. More likely because this thinking outside the box thing is just something most people say. There isn't really anything behind it. It's like "marketing yourself." Marketing what about yourself? Are you a prostitute? No. (well maybe) You are an English teacher and that is where your skills, knowledge and talents lie.

That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to get out of teaching completely. Personally I would love to have a little store and sell CD's, DVD's, books, T-shirts etc. If somebody put up the money and let me choose the merchandise and design the interior of the store I think I could create an awesome environment. I have done it before. I'm certainly am not holding my breath waiting for partners to come a long and put up the money though because as soon as they do they feel that they have the right to change things and wind up fucking it up. I have had that experience too. It isn't pleasant, seeing your energy and creativity trampled upon by some aesthetic dimwit.

So in the end then I wind up creating visual and auditory environments for ESL students. Not a bad comprise I figure, and certainly not bad for a man with no brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home