Saturday, February 26, 2005

ever have an yunshi?

bob wrote - Yun4shi4 - A romantic incident of an intellectual which smacks of refined taste and elegant style. My incidents tend to be either/or in nature. Meaning they are either romantic or they are intellectual. The romantic incidents sometimes smack of refined taste and elegant style, as do the intellectual incidents, but I don't think I have ever had an experience that smacked of all these qualities at once. Perhaps I am just not romantic, intellectual, refined or elegant enough. Is there some sort of class I can take? I desperately want to experience an Yun4shi4. Thank you.

bababa wrote - What on earth are you talking about?

bob wrote - I'm not sure bababa but thanks for asking. I was looking up yun4 (rhyme) in my pinyin dictionary and found yun4shi4 - "a romantic incident of an intellectual which smacks of refined taste and elegant style". I thought maybe somebody here might know more about it. Last night my wife and I tried it with Beijing Opera playing on the CD player but to be honest it didn't feel very yunshi at all. Maybe it is just a Chinese thing. I mean my romantic experiences have always tended to be more barbarian in nature than refined, elegant and intellectual. I would conduct a poll but I don't think anybody would answer.

Neo wrote - Which shi4 is it?

bob wrote - It is yun4shi4. Right after yun4mu3 and right before yun4wen2, on page 717 of the Far East Pinyin Chinese-English Dictionary. To the right of it are a bunch of squiggles that some people seem to regard as a language but look like chicken scratches to me. I don't know if it will help at all but they look like quite complicated chicken scratches. Find it yet?

Tetsuo wrote - It's 'shi4' as in 'thing, event, incident.' And my Chinese monolingual dictionary just lists it as meaning 'a refined and sophisticated event/occurence'.

bob wrote - What no romance? Drats.

Grasshopper wrote - Well, bob...it depends on what you want to add in front of your yunshi. The word specifically means 'matter' or 'affair'. You can add more squiggles and strokes to extend your yunshi to mean anything from 'business matter' or 'torrid love affair' as in 風流韻事. Enjoy.

bob wrote - I can get an yunshi extension then? Better check with the wife first...

xp+10K wrote - bob, I personally ain't seeking no yun4shi4 because it might destroy my few remaining brain cells. But that's no reason for you to miss out, so I'm going to reveal a secret I discovered right here on Forumosa! It's called qi4 fen1 气氛 . Qi4 fen1 气氛 ! When I first read those magical words, I got a tingling sensation, but I was of two minds about whether they were the real key. So I took the matter to a psychic, the same guy who told my boss to move my co-workers and me out of our old housing and then told my boss to change the name of the buxiban and lower the buxiban's fence by about one meter. I figured he was an expert on this sort of thing. Sure, the buxiban went out of business, but we all had some great times while it lasted! Anyways, this psychic guy said that qi4 fen1 气氛 is an absolute prerequisite to the full yun4shi4 experience.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your quest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home